- Client:U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Savannah District
- Location:Robins Air Force Base, Georgia
Benham provided full DesignBuildSM project delivery services for a new 86,341-square-foot cargo aircraft hangar for the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Savannah District. Our single point of responsibility facilitated timely responses to various design challenges and expedited resolution of construction issues.
“Benham has done excellent work for us in representing good value for taxpayer dollar." – Brigadier General Lee Levy
“Benham has done excellent work for us in representing good value for taxpayer dollar,” said Brigadier General Lee Levy at the ribbon cutting for the cargo hangar. “A lot of times you hear negativity about building new projects in respect to government construction, but I would tell you this building is on budget and ahead of schedule.”
The new facility allows for the maintenance or repair of up to four unfueled C-130 aircraft within the main hangar space at any one time. It is also designed to allow for the maintenance of one unfueled C-17 aircraft at a time. Two 7.5-ton-capacity bridge-cranes provide material-handling capabilities for the hangar bays and a fall protection system provides safety coverage of the entire hangar area. The new hangar has helped the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers complete the maintenance on these large aircrafts more efficiently.
The cargo aircraft hangar was also designed using state-of-the-art building information modeling (BIM) and sustainability practices. Submitted to the U. S. Green Building Council (USGBC) for its Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design Silver (LEED® Silver) certification in July 2011, some of the sustainable design and development actions incorporated into this project include the following:
• Protected and restored the natural habitat
• Water-efficient landscaping materials to minimize the water consumption
• Roof with a high solar reflectance index (SRI) value
• High-efficiency plumbing fixtures to reduce overall water usage
• Regional and recycled building materials
• Installation of recycled and “low-emitting” materials
• Recycled construction material, where possible
• Effective waste management/recycling plan during construction activities diverted over 75 percent of the construction debris away from the local municipal landfill
Our DesignBuild project delivery services also included:
• Erosion control measures and storm drainage (including permitting with the Georgia Department of Natural Resources Environmental Protection Division)
Maintenance Hangar / Apron / Taxiway
As part of this project, Benham provided fast-track airfield design, taxiway/parking apron design, site preparation and construction of a 160,000 SF taxiway and apron, and site and steel packages to accelerate project delivery. The project has received numerous compliments from the owner on the quality of our design and the responsiveness of our design and construction to optimize the project in both means and methods.
Design included horizontal and vertical design, construction drawings, specifications and cost estimates for a 66,629 SF Aircraft Component Repair Facility, and other support facilities.
• DBIA Southeast Region Design-Build Project of the Year
• DBIA Southeast Region Federal Design-Build Project over $15 Million
DesignBuild is a service mark of Benham in the U.S. and/or other countries.
LEED Silver is a registered trademark of the U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC) in the U.S. and/or other countries.